Lincoln Parish was founded in 1873 after being a part of the surrounding parishes for almost 40 years. The parish is located in north central Louisiana between the Monroe and Shreveport metropolitan areas. Its borders are Bienville and Claiborne Parishes to the west, Union Parish to the north, Ouachita Parish to the east, and Jackson Parish to the south. Ruston was founded in 1883 by Robert E. Russ and was incorporated as a town in 1884. With the new North and South Rock Railroad in 1901 new manufacturing located in Ruston and encouraged further development.